May 7, 2012
PEF Main Event
Tickets are still available for the Peninsula Education Foundation’s Main Event this Saturday (May 12th). Call (310) 378-2278 or visit www.pvpef.org for more information.
Capitol Comes to Campus
Please mark your calendar and attend the PVP Council of PTAs civic engagement program on May 18th and 19th.
- May 18th is the “Community and Public Officials Reception” at Palos Verdes Peninsula High School (5:00-7:00 P.M.).
- May 19th is the “Health of Our Democracy Program” at Palos Verdes High School (7:45-2:00).
More details to follow shortly.
Board of Education Meetings
May 8, 2012
A Special Board of Education meeting (4:30) has been scheduled for May 8th. The Board will:
- Consider proposed construction and modernization projects.
- Receive an update on special education / RtI programs.
- Vote on the appointment of Brent Kuykendall as Principal of Ridgecrest Intermediate School.
- Hear recommendations regarding District technology needs.
- Discuss the proposed District goals and vision statement for 2012-13.
Consider a four-party Memorandum of Understanding that, if approved by the Board of Education and City Council of Palos Verdes Estates, will dispose of Lots C&D in Palos Verdes Estates. In a separate transaction, the District will receive a generous $1.5 million donation.
May 10, 2012
A regularly scheduled Board of Education meeting will take place on May 10th.
- There will be a presentation on the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). The State is moving to a new accountability system based on the CCSS in 2014-15. School districts need to start preparing now in order to transition smoothly to the new system. The PVPUSD’s game plan must include the possible implementation of new instructional strategies, gearing up for a new assessment system that will provide more immediate results, and determining future needs for instructional materials and technology. For all of the above reasons, the District has a business need to invest in a high quality professional development in order for the schools/staff to be prepared for the CCSS.
- The Board of Education is required by statute to adopt the District’s 2012-13 budget by June 30th, even if State funding is not finalized. The Board of education will review proposed multi-year budget assumptions at its May 10th meeting. The District is currently assuming additional revenue reductions from the State. Since 2007-08, the District has lost over $600 per student in state funding. The Governor’s current 2012-13 budget proposal could mean a loss of another $370+ per student. State leaders will provide updated budget figures in the next few days in what they call the “May Revise.”
To Palos Verdes Peninsula High School student, David Wang, who is one of the 141 high school seniors in America named a 2012 Presidential Scholar.
Palos Verdes Peninsula Summer School Program
Information about the Palos Verdes Peninsula Summer school program can be found at www.pvpss.com.
PV Kids’ Corner Summer Day Care, Camp, and Enrichment Programs
For detailed information and registration forms, please go to www.pvpusd.k12.ca.us/pvkids or call 310-541-7626.
Intermediate School Students
An after-school “PEP Teen Scene” will be offered at Ridgecrest Intermediate School from June 18th to July 13th. The program starts each day after class is dismissed and continues until 6:30 p.m.
View previous updates: